A non-toxic beauty blog focusing on botanical ingredients, honest reviews, affordable options, lifestyle musings, and more than a touch of humor.
"I now look back fondly at those being the most constructive years for preparing me for life in the real world...You have to have pretty thick skin and you have to have big shoulders." - Tom Curley

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Mask-ed Crusader aka Sadie Reviews All the Masks!

Today we're having a Very Special Episode on the blog! That's right, three product reviews for the price of one! Just three low monthly payments of zero dollars!

Anyway, in my recent FreshFaced haul, I received three separate masks, all of which are specifically targeted towards drawing out impurities, especially blackheads (my biggest problem) and blemishes (which I also occasionally get). However, beyond their end goals, the masks I got are all very different.

So, without further ado, here are the three masks I'm reviewing: Kahina Giving Beauty's Antioxidant Mask, Stark Skincare's Green Tea Detox Clay Mask, and May Lindstrom Skin's The Problem Solver!


Kahina Giving Beauty Antioxidant Mask
Price: $62
Ingredients: Aqua, Hectorite, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Olivate, Lactic Acid, Populus Tremuloides Bark Extract, Sorbitan Olivate, Hydrolyzed Linseed Extract*, Mannan, Xanthan Gum, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract*, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Totarol*, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Oil, Arginine, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Extract*, Eucalyptus Radiata (Eucalyptus) Leaf/Stem Oil*, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil* and Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil.
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
aqua, hectorite, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl olivate, lactic acid, populus tremuloides bark extract, sorbitan olivate, hydrolyzed linseed extract*, mannan, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract*, cetearyl glucoside, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, totarol*, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, arginine, punica granatum (pomegranate) seed extract*, eucalyptus radiata (eucalyptus) leaf/stem oil*, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil*, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil - See more at: http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-antioxidant-mask/#sthash.d5zCxYa6.dpuf
Summary: Of all the masks, this is the only one that comes pre-mixed. You would think that this would make it easier, but for me, it was actually a bit problematic. The mask was a bit thick, which made it difficult to apply. I ended up having to thin it with a bit of water to be able to smear it on my face. After I finally got on my face, it was pretty simple. It had a slightly cooling effect, not the usual tingling that I expect from a mask. Certainly not a bad thing, but different. I definitely noticed an improvement in the appearance of my pores after use. I have a big problem with blackheads, and I think this mask made a noticeable difference. Other than that, this mask proved more moisturizing than most masks I've used, leaving my skin nice and soft. There was also less redness than I usually experience from clay-based masks. That being said, this is more than I would typically want to spend for a mask. Like the Tata Harper products I reviewed recently, if I'm going to spend that much money, I want a wow factor. While this mask was quite a nice experience and did provide some results, it wasn't much more than I usually get from using simple green clay, which sets me back less than twenty bucks for months and months of masks.

Stark Skincare Green Tea Detox Mask
Price: $30
Ingredients: Moroccan Rhassoul Lava Clay, French Green Clay, Green Tea Extract, Apple Fruit Extract, Lime Fruit Extract.
Summary: This mask is easily my favorite of the three. First off, it is the most budget-friendly mask by far. It comes in powder form, which makes a thin liquid mask that dries to a pleasant pale green on the skin. The scent is mildly fruity, which I appreciate. The ingredients are simple and powerful -- in fact, the main ingredient in this mask is the same as in the Kahina mask: Rhassoul clay, called Hectorite in the previous mask. I got the nice tingling sensation that I expect from a clay mask, but also the soothing effects of green tea. I got the usual amount of blackhead clearing, but this mask totally busted the small number of blemishes that had popped up on my face, most likely due to stress and hormones. You know how it is. I used this mask at night, per usual, and by the next day, my blemishes were gone! Overall, I really enjoyed this mask. Of all the products I've been trying recently, this is the first one I am definitely planning to purchase. Thanks Stark Skincare! I'm looking forward to trying out more of your products!

May Lindstrom The Problem Solver: 
Price: $92
Ingredients: Fuller's Earth Clay, Red Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, **Theobroma Cacao (Raw Cacao), Red Alaea Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Bicarbonate, Bamboo Carbon Charcoal Powder, *Vanilla Planifolia Bean, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower, *Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, ***Boswellia Carteri (Frankincense), *Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), *Archangelica (Angelica) Root, *Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon), *Myristica Fragans (Nutmeg), *Syzygium Aromaticum (Clove), *Curcuma Longa (Turmeric), *Capsicum Annuum (Cayenne) Pepper.
Summary: Whew, this is one serious mask! I have to be totally honest and say I cheated a little -- I added a small amount of green clay to my sample in order to make enough to cover my entire face. Note to FreshFaced: add more to your mask samples! This mask -- oh, I'm sorry, masque -- means business. Not only will it set you back a pretty penny, but it kind of makes you feel like you're taking an herbal vacuum to your face. This masque also comes in powder form, which makes a dark, rich greenish brown liquid that is fairly thin. It has a distinctive spicy scent that is surprisingly pleasant and invigorating. As far as ingredients, this baby also makes use of Rhassoul clay, combined with a variety of other ingredients that I feel are quite unique, particularly the raw cacao, charcoal powder, gotu kola, and marshmallow root. Fair warning: this masque gives a definite tingling, almost pulsating feeling, as it draws out the nasty stuff. It suffuses the skin with surprising warmth, as well. The only thing I was somewhat disappointed in was the results. I was hoping for some more immediate results, as some blemishes have popped up on my face thanks to stress and hormones. Rather than dry up those blemishes, it seemed to draw more nasties to the surface from deep under my skin. I recognize that this is a good thing, but it was a little annoying. Otherwise, my pores look great. My skin is also has a nice, smooth, glowy sort of look to it, which is awesome. It's too bad that look is currently being marred by some monster blemishes. Here's hoping those heal up soon.

So, we're left with the big question: which mask wins? Taking into account price, results, and overall experience, Stark's Green Tea Detox Mask is the winner by a mile! I'd be interested in trying May Lindstrom's The Problem Solver again, just to see if my skin reacts the same way, but for that kind of cash, I don't want to be looking at more breakouts in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment