A non-toxic beauty blog focusing on botanical ingredients, honest reviews, affordable options, lifestyle musings, and more than a touch of humor.
"I now look back fondly at those being the most constructive years for preparing me for life in the real world...You have to have pretty thick skin and you have to have big shoulders." - Tom Curley

Friday, February 21, 2014

Product Review: May Lindstrom Skin The Clean Dirt + thoughts on the brand


All right kids, we're coming up on my last couple of FreshFaced sample reviews. It's like some kind of bittersweet victory. This was one of the last products I tried, and for good reason. I'd heard lots of incredibly glowing reviews about this product and I was eager to try something unique.



Looking at this stuff in your hand, you wouldn't really believe (or want to believe) that it's a cleanser. It really does look like a little pile of very fine brown dirt. But when you add a little bit of water, something magical happens. The dirt actually foams and creates what May's website calls "a soft mousse," and I have to admit, that's the perfect description of what it's like. The product expands and becomes soft, almost the consistency of a light whipped body butter, but with definite grittiness. I'm not sure what creates this reaction, maybe it's the baking soda or one of the clays involved in the recipe.

It's only when you apply this to your skin that you begin to truly feel the exfoliation, but in a quite gentle way. It also smells strongly of some lovely, warm spices due to the addition of cinnamon, clove, turmeric, ginger, and vanilla. These spices also create a mild warmth and a subtle tingling feeling in the skin, and you know how I feel about tingling! (If you don't know how I feel about tingling... it's good. Tingling is good.) This sensation lingers slightly even after you've rinsed off the product, leaving your skin with a noticeable rosy glow.

I can't say I can pinpoint exactly what this product did for me, but my skin was certainly soft and smoother than usual. I tend to have a few minor bumps due to skin congestion. I also noticed that even after the slight redness had faded, I was left with a rather radiant glow. I happened to get several compliments on my skin the next day, too! All in all, I really enjoyed this product. Was it world-shattering like my discovery of the ED4OLO Cleansing Oil? No. But it was fun, it was an experience, and it was different.

That's one thing I can say for May Lindstrom -- she offers some really unique products. Both this cleansing clay and The Problem Solver mask were new, interesting experiences. I think it has something to do with the potency of the ingredients being used and the addition of warming spices. That being said, I still have a bit of the problem with the price, especially with the results you get. They're not bad results -- in fact, they're quite nice results -- I'm just not sure they're worth that chunk of change.

The Clean Dirt will set you back a cool $60, making it the least expensive product in May Lindstrom's line. I find this particularly anxiety-inducing as this cleansing clay is meant to be an everyday use product. I certainly don't want to discount the quality of May's products or the value of a new experience, though I wish they would! Ha ha. Get it? Discount? Any way. I simply wish these products were a little easier to obtain. Then again, who knows? This could be one of those lines that requires a certain amount of usage to see what's really special about them. If I had the opportunity, I'd love to see how my skin might improve over time, but alas, I'm not made of that kind of money.

My final thoughts on May Lindstrom Skin as a brand are quite similar to those of Tata Harper. This is a luxurious, high quality line that deserves patronage and attention, and if you have the cash and want to treat yourself to something lovely, then certainly do. However, if May is simply not in your budget, don't worry. You can get similar results from other, more affordable products.

No comments:

Post a Comment