A non-toxic beauty blog focusing on botanical ingredients, honest reviews, affordable options, lifestyle musings, and more than a touch of humor.
"I now look back fondly at those being the most constructive years for preparing me for life in the real world...You have to have pretty thick skin and you have to have big shoulders." - Tom Curley

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Product Review: One Love Organics Brand New Day Microderma Scrub & Masque

I received this adorable little sample from the fab folks at the W3LL People Studio in Austin, TX. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I highly recommend you drop by! Not only do they carry the full line of W3LL People makeup, they'll also gladly give you a free mini-makeover ala your typical Sephora, Ulta, or the mall beauty counter. They also offer a wide variety of only the cleanest products for skin care, body care, and a glamorous green lifestyle. I do most of my clean beauty shopping here and I adore the place, as well as everyone who works there. Make sure to get a hug from Christine!

But enough about W3LL People, let's talk about One Love Organics. I'm sure that by now, you're aware of my borderline-inappropriate love affair with their Vitamin B Cleansing Oil. I've been lusting after this brand for a while, and I'm glad that I'm getting the opportunity to try out a few of their products. While their products certainly aren't cheap, the ingredients are pure and high quality, and the price is more mid-range than comparable luxury brands, which I definitely appreciate.

Brand New Day Microderma Scrub & Masque is the epitome of "gentle yet powerful." This phrase -- or similar incarnations -- is thrown around a lot in the green beauty world, but this scrub really takes the cake for me. The main ingredients are simple: corn starch, sweet pea flour, and pineapple extract, providing both manual and enzyme-based exfoliation. This scrub comes in a powder form that is deceptively smooth and silky. But add some water and bam! That same powder becomes a powerhouse of exfoliation. Sensitive- and dry-skinned beauties might take caution, according to reviews, this can be a little too much for your complexion. For oily and blemish-prone skin like mine, though, it works wonders!


After use, I saw a slight change in the appearance of my pores, but mainly I was impressed by how buttery-soft my skin felt! I tried this product as both a scrub and a mask, and both times I was very happy with the results. One commenter on the OLO website recommended mixing a little with your body wash and using as a scrub on your chest, where I have a few pesky blackheads. I didn't get the chance to try this, but I bet it would be fantastic.

There are very few cons to the product. One warning I would give is to be careful with the power -- as it's quite light and fine, it can easily scatter or create a little could of exfoliants, which would be awful to get in your eyes. Another annoyance is the price. While $39 is not completely outrageous, especially since a little bit goes a long way, the product itself is primarily corn starch and flour. Pea flour costs under five bucks and cornstarch, even less, and it looks like you can get pineapple fruit extract for under ten, as well. I might just be sneaky and try to DIY this stuff...

All in all, a great product from a great company, even if it is a little pricey. I will most certainly consider buying a full size of this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment