A non-toxic beauty blog focusing on botanical ingredients, honest reviews, affordable options, lifestyle musings, and more than a touch of humor.
"I now look back fondly at those being the most constructive years for preparing me for life in the real world...You have to have pretty thick skin and you have to have big shoulders." - Tom Curley

Friday, January 10, 2014

Product Review + SWATCHES!: ILIA Beauty Lip Conditioner in Bang Bang

My first product review of the new year! How exciting! This review is thanks to a sample I received from FreshFaced. (Received as in I bought it and then received it in the mail, not as in received for free. For free would be much preferred. Please send me free things.)



ILIA is a well-know, well-respected brand in the green beauty world, so I was super excited to try it out. In fact, I bust open that little sample and slapped it on my lips as I got it out of the box. The first thing I noticed was that it was much smoother than I expected. It has the consistency of a thick balm rather than a traditional lipstick. Unlike many lip colors, it wasn't drying at all. I also found that it applies much better with a finger than with a brush. It was lighter in texture than I thought it would be, but damn does that color pop! The top swatch is one layer, blended. The bottom is several good swipes of color for something brighter.
 
I suck at swatches okay
I have fair skin with cool, pink undertones. On me, this color comes out a bright, wearable coral, leaning closer to red than orange, like the color of a hibiscus flower. This is not at all what I expected, but I'm delighted! I think if I ended up with another subtle, natural pinky color I'd scream. I've been wanting to try a coral, but decided that it's not really the season for it. I guess it's still not really the season for it, but I don't care!

Not many cons to this one, which is fantastic. It's highly-pigmented, so a little goes a long way, which I'm hoping means this sample will last for a while. I was going for something a little more substantial, closer to a lipstick than a balm, but this one seems to have some decent staying power, so maybe that's not a big deal. I haven't quite decided if it's right for my coloring, but I'm having a lot of fun rocking it around the house while I hide from the cold and the rain.

Not a stitch of makeup on except Bang Bang
Having some fun

No comments:

Post a Comment