A non-toxic beauty blog focusing on botanical ingredients, honest reviews, affordable options, lifestyle musings, and more than a touch of humor.
"I now look back fondly at those being the most constructive years for preparing me for life in the real world...You have to have pretty thick skin and you have to have big shoulders." - Tom Curley

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Product Review: Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser + thoughts on the brand

Hellooo rent money
After a somewhat underwhelming experience with Tata Harper's Resurfacing Mask, I was honestly not expecting much from this cleanser. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. This product is a lot of what I look for in a cleanser - non-drying, soap-free, packed with powerful botanical ingredients, and designed to help clear up skin congestion and reduce the appearance of pores.

It's a fluffy, lightly pink cream cleanser with a subtle grittiness from apricot seed powder. I'm a big fan of exfoliation, but it's easy to go overboard in that category. This cleanser provides a gentler form of exfoliation that I feel is more beneficial to the skin. It removed my makeup well and buffed away the bit of flaky dryness that I have right now thanks to wintry winds. It also has a light fruity sort of scent, probably thanks to the neroli water and other various fruit-based ingredients. Like the Resurfacing Mask, a little bit of this goes a long way, as well. A tablespoon-sized sample got me a good 3-4 uses. All in all, I have no real complaints about this cleanser. If I saw it on a shelf at the grocery store, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.


Unfortunately, the only shelves you'll find this stuff on are at Neiman Marcus or some upscale online vendors. Look, I'm gonna stop beating around the bush. This stuff is $75 and if I'm going to pay that much for a cleanser, I want it to wow me. There is certainly nothing wrong with this cleanser, but I wasn't floored. I've tried similar cleansers that are a third of the price that I feel offer about the same (and sometimes better) results. I'm not morally opposed to spending this kind of money on something, especially something that I'm putting on my body nearly every single day. Heck, I own a $50 serum that I love because the ingredients are top-notch, I use it all the time, and it works like nothing else I've ever tried.

I'm not saying this is a bad product. It's really not. I'm certainly not saying that Tata Harper is a bad line. Their ingredients are fantastically clean and oftentimes organic, they have glowing reviews from countless customers, a little bit of their product goes a long way, even their packaging is lovely. For whatever reason, this just didn't translate to the kind of high-end results I was hoping for, and maybe that's my problem. In my mind, I still struggle with the "more money = better thing" kind of consumer mentality, and that's simply not always the case. I built this brand up in my mind so much because of what I'd heard from others -- it's no wonder I'm finding myself a bit disappointed right now.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to treat yourself, and you're lucky enough to have the cash to do so, then try out Tata Harper. If not, don't worry. You're not missing anything a more affordable option can give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment